The success of most organizations rely on how successful they are on executing on their technology strategy. Most CEOs are not highly technical, but they are responsible for leading companies whose success are highly dependent on the strength of their technology.
Following are few steps a CEO can take to foster healthy relationship between its tech and business teams.
- Hire a CTO with proven record in building and leading teams of world-class engineers and has successfully lunched products into the market.
- Make sure that the technical objectives of the organization are clearly defined.
- CTO has defined a clear technical strategy with consensus from the rest of the leadership team.
- Tech execution path must be planed and communicated by the CTO and presented to rest of the business.
- CTO should also add value to non-technical areas of the business-like marketing, finance and HR.
- A smooth flow of communication between the business and the tech should be established. There should be no room for any communication gap between them; and even if there are any, an efficient CTO is expected to fill the gap.
- The CEO should value the CTO’s contribution and provide him/her with ample opportunities and freedom to grow intellectually without second-guessing.